Well, I had my usual Monday morning appointment with Dr. Rensimer today. Monday appointments are usually non-eventful and include a lot of waiting, cleaning and changing my dressing, getting four viles of blood drawn, and peeing in a cup. Today was a little different.
My mom has been accompanying me to all of these appointments (she likes to know the low down on what's going on) but today she was watching my nephew so my sister could see her doctor. No big deal. Wouldn't you know it that the day I go by myself is the day that my body decides to spaz out and PASS OUT while the nurse was changing my dressing...?!!?! That's right...I passed out. It was only for a second, but man it did not feel good. The nurse was cleaning my PICC line insertion place and changing the gauze when BLAM! the room went dark, I was cold and sweaty, and I just was out of it for a few seconds. Erin, the sweet nurse who takes such good care of me every week, made me drink lots of water, eat something, and lay down for a good half hour while waiting for the doctor to come in. I knew it wasn't from hunger because I had just eaten breakfast. They took my blood pressure right before and right after it happened and the weird thing is, both times it was perfect! Hmm...an enigma.
Dr. Rensimer didn't see any medical relevance to mastoiditis (always good) so he advised me to call my OB to let her know what happened (especially since she is in the same hospital as him). I called her and she said she would feel better if she took a look at me. I swung by her office (in the new tower at memorial hermann...VERY nice!!) and again my blood pressure was completely normal...even perfect (120/80). She didn't have a medical reason for what happened but told me to go home and lay down, really take it easy. I, of course, had no objections. She also said it wouldn't be a bad idea to really pack in the protein (bring on more meat!!). Malachi's heartbeat sounded good and again, he remained unphased by what his spaz-tastic mommy's body was doing.
I was expecting my skin to be really irritated like it was two weeks ago because for some reason, my PICC was REALLY sore and to move my arm just a bit hurt like crazy. When Erin took the gauze off, the reason was right there--yes the skin was irritated, but the main problem was that somehow over the weekend, I ripped a stitch out! Whoops! It's not an entirely big deal because, according to Dr. Rensimer, we are EIGHT DAYS AWAY from pulling it out!! I still have one stitch holding it in place, but in his words I need to "guard this stitch with my life". :)
I'm very glad that they didn't have to put a new stitch in and very glad that God's protection of my little monkey was seen yet again. The nurse even had a "fluke" dressing change kit that had two packs of sterile gloves instead of one...and guess who needed to change gloves after the pregnant dodo passed out? That's right...God knew what was going to happen. He had that room already prepared.
I return to work tomorrow. I talked with Susan today (who I work with) and she said that they have changed my schedule for me so that I can sit down most of the day and not have to deal with the really hands-on kids in our class. As much as I adore the kids in my class, it will be a nice break to have the easier schedule. I see Dr. Rensimer Thursday for my (could be FINAL) blood work results. I will certainly let you know!
Unworthy,
Molly
Monday, January 5, 2009
A Day Full of Excitement...
Posted by milillo fam at 2:46 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 pennies for your thoughts:
You tell your days so well I feel like Im right with you!! It is amazing how Gods hands bless us at just the right times, esp when everything is crazy around us! I def know what you mean. Im still praying for yall!! Take care and I hope you have a great week!
-Meagan
Post a Comment