Friday, December 5, 2008

Crazy to think...

So I was thinking...

I wasn't even supposed to go see my ear doctor until Wednesday for my follow-up from three weeks ago. Crazy to think how much worse all of this could have been if I would have waited. I just knew my body was telling me something wasn't right all weekend, so I picked up the phone Monday morning. Always listen to your body!!
We saw Dr. Rensimer yesterday (Infectious Disease) and he had my blood test results back from Tuesday. He found a lot of inflammation and said certain levels were high so my body was definitely ridden with something. He will take blood every Monday and discuss the results every Thursday. I like him a lot because he is very thorough and lays it all out for you. He doesn't sugar-coat anything but remains positive nonetheless. He didn't want me going back to work quite yet (the 12-inch tubing sticking out of my vein could be a deterent) so I'm off until at least the 16th. Thankfully we serve a very holy and very faithful God whom I know will work out the financial responsibilities this has brought on (as well as how He'll stretch what little paycheck I will get once they dock my days). The co-pays alone this week have been unreal, but I can't thank my family enough for coming through to help Steve and I.
I must say a HUGE "THANK YOU!!!!" to my mom. She has been with me every step of the way this week. Every appointment, every IV stick, every waiting room...she has been by my side through it all and I know she has her own health problems so it was no pinic. Thank you so much, mom, for showing me how sacrificial a mother is supposed to be in the blink of an eye. We went from what we thought was a routine visit to all of this happening in a matter of hours on Monday and it's been non-stop since then. THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!
Also, thank you so much to everyone who has been praying. I can't tell you how much it means to Steve and I to know we are mentioned in so many prayers right now. Also, to anyone who has signed up to bring us dinner, thank you! You don't know the burden it lifts off of me not to have to think about that one little detail. :)
Back to doctor talk. Dr. Rensimer will be watching me like a hawk. He re-emphasized how quickly something could go really bad since this particular bone is right next to my brain and spinal fluid. So, with his watchful eye, we will keep a tight handle on this thing. He also was honest and said that for a few weeks, I may be feeling better and my levels in my blood may come down (what we want) and all appears to be working. However, sometimes, the antibiotics can only do so much of the work. It all depends on whether the infection has started to destroy that bone or not and how long it's really been in there doing it's thing (there's no way of knowing exactly how long). He said the worse case scenario would be to eventually need surgery to remove that bone or to open that bone and drain out the infection that's in there. We obviously have a sensitive timeline with Malachi still being squishy in the middle, but I have excellent doctors who know what they're doing. Dr. Morgan (ear dude) seemed pretty confident that surgery wasn't in my future so let's stick with that!
As for now, I'm either at home or in a doctor's office, infusing my little antibiotic pod things around the clock. Oh, I almost forgot....Dr. Rensimer did an excellent job of explaining to me that based on my blood work, my infection is truly MY infection. It is going nowhere near Malachi!!!!!! YAY!!!!!! God's grace is truly incredible!!! For me to have this serious of an infection rummaging through my skull area and for NONE OF IT to even affect Malachi in the slightest is amazing! Thank you, God, for Your incredible design!
I see Dr. Morgan today at 2:00pm so I'm praying he doesn't have much to suction out of my ear!
Unworthy,
Molly

1 pennies for your thoughts:

Anonymous said...

You have a wonderful attitude through all of this! You have the BEST personality everrrrr!