Thursday, December 4, 2008

Whew...what a week!

Let me just start by filling you in on my schedule since Monday morning...

MONDAY:
11:00am-12:30pm Dr. Morgan (Ear, Nose, Throat) for diagnosis, Myringotomy, and tube placement...don't forget the suction!
12:30-3:00pm Infusion Clinic to start first IV and learn how to inject at home
3:00-4:30 Dr. Levin (OB/GYN) to make sure Malachi is fantastic (he is!)
4:30-6:00 Wal-Mart to get prescriptions filled

TUESDAY:
10:30-11:45 Dr. Morgan for suction (I mean, for pain)
11:45-5:00 Dr. Rensimer (Infectious Disease genius) for plan of attack, take out old IV, put in new IV, get antibiotic pod things to inject at home, get blood drawn
5:00-6:30 Sit in traffic until FINALLY...home!
8:30-11:00 Doze off
11:00 Wake up to take antibiotic out of fridge
11:30-12:30 Infuse antibiotics
12:30 SLEEP!
WEDNESDAY:
7:30 Wake up to take antibiotic out of fridge
8:00-9:00 Infuse antibiotic
9:00-10:00 Doze off again
10:00-11:30 Attempt to shower, etc.
11:30-1:00 Mom came over to make chicken and rice!! (Perks me right up!)
1:15-3:00 Dr. Morgan for suction (least painful visit yet)
3:30 Check-in at Memorial City Hospital for PICC line
3:30-4:45 Infuse antibiotic
5:30-6:00 Get PICC line inserted (and got to see my heart...cool!)
6:00-6:30 Realize the valet closes at 6...wait for security guy
7:00 HOME!
8:00 Dang it...Lidocaine wore off
8:30-10:30 Doze off (Sorry, Rockets...I tried to watch)
11:00 Take antibiotics out of fridge
11:30-12:45 Infuse antibiotics
12:45am SLEEP!

As for today, THURSDAY...
I had to wake up at 7:30 to take the antibiotics out of the fridge. Woke up again at 8:00 to infuse them. Dozed off during the infusion and didn't realize the tube got pinched so then I had to stay awake and make sure it all went in. Flushed out both tubes, dozed off for another half hour, ate some breakfast, got on blogspot.

UPDATES FROM DOCTORS:

Seeing Dr. Morgan yesterday was finally the least painful visit I've ever had with him. He still had to suction my ear, but by the grace of God, there was just one little thing to suck out so two seconds of pain was nothing! I went for the PICC line yesterday. I felt fine about it until they explain all the things to watch for to make sure I'm not getting a blood clot. (Remember, I'm not using a blood thinner b/c it's not the safest for my little Malachi.) But, they said complications are rare, but rare seems to be my middle name lately. :)
Dr. Rensimer (Infectious Disease genius) was very thorough and really took time and put in energy to developing a treatment plan for me. He said that I will be on IV antibiotics every eight hours (they take one hour to infuse) for at least two weeks. Dr. Morgan (ENT) was hopeful that he won't have to do any kind of surgery on me! The pain is definitely still there, but I think I am beginning to notice a difference with these super drugs. Praise God!

The PICC line wasn't painful going in, it was actually kinda cool to get to see a tube going into my heart. (Not for the weak stomached!) Maybe I've seen too much Discovery Health or something, but stuff like that fascinates me. It is really sore today but it's just sore from the stitches (they stitch it in place). Actually, let me explain what a PICC line is. A PICC line is short for Peripherally Inserted Central Catheter. It's a small, flexible tube that is inserted in your upper arm (between your elbow and armpit) and threaded into a large vein in the chest. It has two tubes sticking out of my arm so that I can infuse whatever medicine I need to. It also doubles as a major plus because they won't have to re-stick me everytime they need blood. Since it's in a main blood supply, they can just get blood from it too. Like I said, it's sore today but much more comfortable (thus far) than the IV's they were having to put in my hand. Here's a picture of my progress...

This is my second IV. The first one didn't last long.


And here is the PICC line...

It's like really weird arm necklaces.

Anyways, I will be seeing Dr. Rensimer every Monday for blood work and to pick up more antibiotics and every Thursday to get the results of the labs and to pick up even more antibiotics. I see him in 45 minutes today so I need to go figure out how to shower with my new arm jewelry. I will keep you posted on all the happenings.

In case you're wondering, my baby shower is definitely still on at the Abdo's house for this Satuday! I need a pick-me-up and baby things always do the trick! :)

Unworthy,
Molly

3 pennies for your thoughts:

The Rest is Still Unwritten said...

Aww, I'm so excited for you guys! Molly -- I'm a friend of Steve's from high school. We've never met, but I was at your wedding! I hope that you start feeling better soon and I'll be praying for you and baby Malachi!

Anonymous said...

I hate to hear all these things going wrong with you and that baby!! But, I know everything will be a-ok. Still praying for youuu!

Anonymous said...

Wow girl, you've been through the ringer! We are continuing to pray as we have all week long. Steve keeps us updated but it's good to read your blog to get specifics. PLEASE let us know if you need anything! I can't wait for your shower on Saturday! We love you!